In today’s world, everything is going digital. Everything is available online for access and use. Wouldn’t it be great if the classrooms can also be created virtually? So that students and teachers can mutually coordinate and work together. Google has created Google Classrooms which is similar to a virtual class where teachers can allot assignments and students can submit accordingly.
In an emergency, if the school has to be stopped, why should it be the same for study? These virtual classrooms can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection. Google Classroom is available through the website and its mobile app.
In this post, I will give you Google Classroom Tutorial and overview and how can you set it up.
What is Google Classroom?
Google Classroom is an application developed by Google to create online virtual classrooms. It helps teachers create classrooms and allows them to share important study materials to the students. Google Classroom helps both teachers and students to communicate with each other. Teachers can give assignments to the students with the due date. It is a very handy tool for teachers to manage students properly.
Google Classroom has integration with Google Calendar. It can be used to mark dates and submissions. It is also integrated with Google docs and Google drive.
Great tool for great teachers!
Features of Google Classroom
Google Classroom provides a wide variety of features. It can be used accordingly by the teachers. The main advantage of using Google Classroom is that, its completely free of cost.
Below are some of the main features of Google Classroom and why you should use it?
- Assignments: Well, assignments are an important part of studying. In Google Classroom, teachers can upload and assign the assignments to the students. The assignments can be added with due dates which are synced with Google Calendar. Students can upload the assignments and hand over to receive grade points.
- Grading: The assignments can be checked and graded accordingly. Teachers can also put their remarks for an assignment to the students. Students will be notified about their assignment grades via Gmail.
- Announcement: Teachers can create an announcement in the classroom which will be visible by every student in the classroom. Students can also reply to a particular announcement.
- Upload Study Material: In the created virtual classroom, teachers can upload documents, pdf, videos directly through their Google Drive and Youtube.
- Manage Students: In Google Classroom, Teachers can add and remove students from their classes. Teachers can give permission to students to post or reply. They can also manage every student’s email.
Cons of Google Classroom
Not everything is perfect in this world. Yes, Google Classroom has some minor disadvantages which can make managing the virtual class uneasy. Below are some of the common cons you will find in the application.
- No Live Chat: In this application, you will find there is no option of doing a live chat with the students. If a student occurs a doubt, they have to be contacted via Gmail. Although students can reply to announcements and comment on assignments.
- No Class Test: Tests cannot be taken through Google Classroom. Online Tests are not integrated with this application. You have to use any other application for online Class Tests.
- No Forums: A forum is a great way to start a discussion among students. But there is no option for forums in this application. Although, it would have been great with a discussion forum.
Google Classroom Tutorial: Beginner’s Guide
This tutorial will help you in creating your first online class with google classroom and invite students to connect to your classes.
How to Create Online Classroom
- Sign In: If you have a Google Account otherwise create an account, then go to classroom.google.com. Click on Sign In with your Google Account.
- Create a New Class: Click on (+) button on the top navbar. Click on Create a new class. You have created a new class.
- Fill the required details: Now after accepting the terms and conditions, you will see a box with the required details (class name, section, room, subject). Fill the details according to you.
- Invite Students: Now after creating the class, you will see a code. Share this code with the students. They can join the class using code to join the class action.
How to Create an Assignment
- Go to classwork: In the top navbar, you will see different options. Click on the Classwork option.
- Create Assignment: Click on Create Button. Click on the Assignment button.
- Fill the details: Fill the details of the assignments and add media, if any. Set the settings of the assignment like grade, due date, topic.
- Assign: After filling in the details, click on the assign button.
How to Share Study Material to Class
- Go to classwork: Click on the Classwork option in the top navbar.
- Create Material: Click on the create button. Click on the create material button.
- Add Material: Provide information in the given space and add study material.
- Post: After adding the material. Click on the Post button on the top.
How to Create an Announcement
- Go to Stream: Click on the Stream button on the top navbar.
- Share Something: Click on “Share something with your class”.
- Fill the details: Fill in all the details of the announcement you want to make.
- Post: Click on the post button.
How to Set Student Post and Comment Rights
- Go to Settings: Click on the gear icon on the top navbar.
- Go to General: Go the general settings, then go the stream option.
- Choose Rights: Choose the type of rights you want to apply to your class.
I hope you find my tutorial to be useful. There are many more functions available in google classroom. It is a very handy tool for teachers to create a virtual online classroom. There are many other Softwares available out there. I will discover them more in detail.